I’ve seen a lot of lemon recipes recently and ever time, I started craving it. There is something about the fresh tartness of lemon that is so good. To me, lemon is creamy things; lemon bars, lemon cheesecake, lemon pudding, lemon whipped cream …
These are cheesecake in bar form and have all the decadence of cheesecake without the guilt. (I’m just using that as an expression because I really don’t believe in associating guilt with food. And I personally love cheesecake, no matter what:)
Tangy would be my word to describe these (after mouthwatering!) The Greek yogurt and lemon add all the sour tanginess and the sugar cuts that and adds sweetness (and there is only a half cup used; not bad for lemon cheesecake)
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 8 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt, nonfat plain
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir until it pulls together.
- Press into a lightly greased 9x9 pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- For the filling:
- While the crust is baking, beat cream cheese, yogurt and egg whites together.
- Add sugar and flour and stir.
- Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and poppy seeds until combined.
- Pour into crust (I didn't let mine cool all the way because I was running out of time) and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool before refrigerating for at least four hours.