So my girl Davida can rest easy now – I am officially on the pancake train after voting waffles for life for EVER. Seriously, every time she would post a pancake recipe, I’d be like, this looks great, but can you imagine it in waffle form.
I’m converted. Three words – no waffle iron. Pancakes don’t need a waffle iron aka I don’t have to wash a waffle iron. Win.
Waffles will forever have a spot in my heart. But because I’m often crunched for time in the morning, pancakes are waaaay easier.
And chocolate for breakfast. Don’t even argue.
I was going to make a version with oat flour and almond meal, and I’m working on that tomorrow morning, but for today, you get a whole wheat version. Despite being completely whole wheat, these pancakes are soft and tender. The egg to flour ratio may seem a bit off, but trust me, the egg provides the fat so you don’t need any butter or oil, and gives the pancakes the fluffy texture. Plus, almonds, coconut, and melty chocolate chips make everything good and really, you get the candy bar feel just in pancake form. Note: You can sub granulated sugar for the date sugar.
- 7 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup date sugar
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons almond milk
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 Tablespoons Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, and sugar.
- Pour milk and eggs into dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in coconut flakes, chocolate chips, almonds,
- Heat pan on medium heat and spray with oil.
- Pour batter onto hot pan and let cool for a minute or two until pancakes start to bubble.
- Flip over and cook on other side.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with syrup if desired and enjoy!