Have any of you watched Mom’s Night Out? If not, I can promise you this – if you watch it four times in less than four months, you’ve overdone it and you will not appreciate it when people like me quote it all the time.
I have very strong evidence for this from a very close friend. 🙂
So there is this line from Mom’s Night Out that says, “I knew stress paralyzed was a thing!”
For me yesterday morning, it was “I knew chocolate tarts for breakfast was a thing!”
This tart is layers of homemade chocolate graham cracker crust, chocolate fudge filling, and caramel. Each is vegan and most certainly healthy enough for breakfast. 😉 As much as I have tried to stick with the “only post what my whole family approves,” that’s impossible when some don’t like oats, chocolate, and/or peanut butter. True stories, each of them, so I’ve had to give you my personal opinions on things. However, this tart got voted yeah from all the chocoholics and lasted less than 24 hours. I adore the graham cracker recipe I used for the crust because it tastes just like graham crackers from the store, only it’s made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and less sugar. The chocolate filling is the ultimate layer of creamy, rich, chocolate fudge. It is only coconut oil, cocoa powder, and a combo of sugar and pure maple syupr. Aka divine.
Finally, the caramel! I have finally gotten the hang of this caramel making. Because it is only milk and sugar, you need to use more of a skillet than a pot so that the whole mixture can heat through and thicken. Trust me, it makes the best and easiest caramel, vegan or otherwise, and swirls beautifully into you chocolate filled graham cracker tart.
Your Monday morning needs some chocolate, I can just feel it.
PS Go watch Mom’s Night Out. It’s clean, hilarious, and pretty darn sweet. Your Monday needs some lines from that movie too. “‘I’m just stress paralyzed.” “… I don’t think that’s a thing.”
Mondays – oh yes it is.
- Graham cracker crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat graham flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ Tablespoon molasses
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (honey if not strict vegan)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- For crust:
- Light grease fluted tart pan. Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and sugar together.
- Stir in molasses, pure maple syrup, vanilla, coconut oil, and water until mixture is smooth.
- Press into prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While crust is baking, make filling by whisking together melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, sugar, and pure maple syrup. It will be the consistency of water so place mixture in freezer until it thickens up.
- For caramel, whisk almond milk, brown sugar, and pure maple syrup together.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes or until thick. Stir frequently.
- To assemble: Take cooled crust and spread chocolate filling into it. Swirl caramel through the filling and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This recipe is part of a collection of Holiday Pies on Foodie.com! Click below to find other amazing holiday pies sure to bring out the oohs and ahhs at your Thanksgiving or Christmas table!
Check out Holiday Pies in the Skies
Disclosure: This is a sponsored opportunity with Foodie.com. All opinions are 100% my own.