Easy whole wheat orange zest sweet loaf studded with cranberries and blueberries! Almond milk, coconut oil, and make this dairy free and healthy!
I’m a bread fanatic and make no mistake. Give me a slice of sweet bread and a cup of coffee and I’m happy.
I have seen many cranberry orange bread recipes and I was ready to make my own. Not only do they sound amazing, they’re so pretty! But my freezer decided to loudly protested otherwise. I mean, it threw a fit worthy of a tired toddler.
I was on a huge frozen blueberry kick this summer and fall so we have stocked up. I think I overdid it … and there was that one time I botched a spinach blueberry smoothie. It was scarring. I quit using blueberries and now we have 3,4, maybe 7 (but who’s counting?) bags of opened bags of frozen blueberries in the freezer and when I went to get my cranberries, bam, the freezer threw out all those bags of blueberries in protest.
Anyone want frozen blueberries?
I think I used up two open bags in this bread and the rest of the cranberries. Now I’m just waiting for the freezer to decide all that ice cream I bought needs to be eaten as well …
When I’m chopping fruit for baked goods, I always freeze them because it keeps them from bleeding all over the batter. If you have ever made blueberry muffins and thrown the blueberries with the beater going, then you know what I’m talking about. And if you haven’t experienced that, then I’m going to guess you are a bakery style muffin person. No shame there either. I love a good coffee house baked good and coffee. No shame Starbucks, no shame.
But you don’t need Starbucks if you’ve got this. Just saying.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup cranberries, frozen and chopped
- ¾ cup blueberries, frozen
- zest of one orange
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour 9x4 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Add almond milk, coconut oil, orange juice, egg, and brown sugar to the dry ingredients and beat well.
- Fold in cranberries, blueberries, and orange zest.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- When the loaf is cool, mix powdered sugar and water together (add more water by teaspoon if necessary) and drizzle over the loaf. Enjoy!