I asked my mom (since she’s the only other family member who will eat anything peppermint) whether it should be chocolate chip and peppermint or coffee, chocolate chip, and peppermint.
She was like, “um is that even a question?”
I’ll be honest, we like our coffee more than peppermint.
But we really like peppermint too.
I bombed the first batch of these blondies. They were oily, and yet dry on top. I don’t know to explain it. They were super fudgy, but too oily and floury. This second batch thing is killing my eating schedule. Baking blondies at 8 in the morning while trying to get rid of a whole pan is sacrificial to say the least.
These though, these worked! I used a combination of vegan butter and coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and lowered the flour. This gave these the trademark soft, fudgy, and chewy blondie texture. The coffee flavor is mild and laced throughout the whole blondie, whereas the peppermint gets a double dose through extract and chopped candy cane. You can also use peppermint baking chips but if you want it to stay dairy free, use candy canes. I love using mini chocolate chips because they spread out the melty chocolate chips and are just plain cute 🙂
- ½ cup butter (I used a combination of ¼ cup vegan butter and ¼ cup coconut oil)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup + 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- ⅓ cup chopped candy canes or peppermint baking chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and egg together.
- Stir in coffee and peppermint extract.
- Add flours and stir well.
- Fold in chocolate chips and candy canes or baking chips.
- Press into prepared pan and bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.