Melty chocolate chips make my heart skip beats. As does tender, moist, dense, sweet cake filled with melty chocolate chips.
Let me introduce you to the new power packed cake recipe.
The combination of
whole wheat and
gives you protein, fiber, and healthy fats in every bite. It sure doesn’t taste like health food though. My family doesn’t always enjoy my experiments but this cake was gone in one meal. Granted, I contributed to a quarter of the cake, but they finished the rest. If you’ve got kiddos who don’t do pumpkin (these people do exist, I live with some of them) don’t worry, the pumpkin gives it color, but little flavor, if any at all. I love pumpkin puree because it replaces oil and gives baked goods a denser and richer crumb without the fat.
This is the first time I’ve baked with bran flakes and I am completely on board. Once they soak in the almond milk, you can stir them easily into your batter. You want to beat them well since clumps of bran flakes isn’t the best experience for the palette. After that, this is like any other cake recipe, simply mix, bake, and eat!
Bring it Monday, I’m ready.
- 2-1/2 cups bran flakes
- 1-1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil (or vegetable)
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or mini chocolate chips, if you aren't dairy free) + more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 400 and lightly grease an 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a small bowl, combine bran flakes and almond milk. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg, pumpkin puree, oil, and almond butter. Stir in bran flake and almond milk mixture, and beat well until smooth.
- Stir in flours, sugar, and baking powder.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool before removing cake from pan.
- Enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container.