We’re back with the vegan chocolate tart thing.
But that’s only because I’m done with blogging.
Just kidding, not forever, just for about six days. Or weeks. However long it takes for me to get my ducks in a row … six hours is way too hopeful.
I wish I had had better lighting for this post and as I was trying unsuccessfully to snap some Pinterest worthy photos and venting to the sun about daring to show its face in February (the NERVE), I realized, if I’m going to do this blogging thing, I need to do it right. That means good recipes, good photos (insert emphasis), and good comments on other blogs. I don’t know how all you mothers and college students do this, I’m barely making it through my last semester of high school and I don’t even have to pay for my own cherries … yet.
I freakin adore cherries. They are the bomb and the reason my world goes round. I love them frozen but I’ll take them in desserts too. I took the crust and filling from this Vegan Chocolate Caramel Tart, added shredded unsweetened coconut and cherries and boom chakalaka yall, a home run was hit. I didn’t refrigerate it this time and the filling remained creamy like a frosting vs a fudge and the crust held up beautifully, not crumbling at all when served.
And the cherries and coconut contrast color and flavor wise wonderfully. I love how they look. If only life was as easily organized as cherries and coconut on top of a tart.
Happy weekend you guys!
- Graham cracker crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat graham flour (or ½ cup ap flour plus ½ cup whole wheat flour)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ Tablespoon molasses
- 1 Tablespoon agave nectar (honey if not strict vegan)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup agave nectar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup cherries
- For crust:
- Light grease fluted tart pan. Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk whole wheat flour (or flour combination), cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and sugar together.
- Stir in molasses, agave, vanilla, coconut oil, and water until mixture is smooth.
- Press into prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While crust is baking, make filling by whisking together melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, sugar, and agave. It will be the consistency of water so either a) let it sit at room temp, covered, until the consistency of frosting (which is what I did) or b) place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To assemble: Take cooled crust and spread chocolate filling into it. Top with coconut shreds and cherries. Store leftovers at room temp.