There was once a time where I made brownies pretty much every week. They were my thing.
While I like this humidity even less than I like squat jumps, I’m not all about the rich and heavy cuisine anymore. It’s like I broke up with brownies and fudge bars but … I suck at really ending it. They don’t sound good most of the time, but if I hang out in the AC long enough and spend too much time looking at algebra equations, brownies don’t seem like such a bad idea after all.
Note: even in the summer, brownies are never a bad idea. Aren’t you glad I went to all the trouble of figuring that out for yall …
Can I just say these are by far the best thing I’ve made since the Homemade Peanut Butter Snickers Bars? I made this brownie base extra thick and thanks to that super unoriginal but super amazing idea, these brownies are super dense and fudgy. And then, I topped those brownies with a thick layer of scotcheroos (aka peanut butter honey chex perfection.) Seriously and the best part about this layer is the peanut butter and honey mixture melts into the chex cereal but the cereal stays crunchy. I don’t know how that happens but it does and it’s wonderful.
And then, because I could, I made a super quick batch of homemade vegan caramel and drizzled that all over.
Now that you are tired of the word super, I’ll let you get your brownies on and enjoy this summer heat!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- Peanut Butter Scotcheroo Layer:
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 3 cups crushed rice chex cereal
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- For brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 9x9 glass baking pan.
- For brownies, beat eggs, oil, and applesauce together well.
- Stir in flour, cocoa powder, and sugar until smooth.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 22-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool while you prepare the Peanut Butter Scotcheroo layer.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, stir peanut butter, honey, and applesauce together until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in chex cereal.
- Gently spread over cooled brownies, pressing slightly to stick to brownies.
- Set aside while you prepare caramel. In another medium pot, stir milk, brown sugar, and honey together. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Once caramel is thickened, let cool slightly before pouring over scotcheroo and brownie layers.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Best served chilled. Enjoy!